Fighting Climate Change: 8 Benefits of Solar Energy
Solar power is one of the most popular ways to generate clean energy for homes and businesses around the world. But what are the specific benefits of solar energy? Once you understand the extensive advantages of using this renewable power source, you’ll wish you had installed solar panels a long time ago! Here’s how solar energy can help in the fight against climate change.
- Solar energy is renewable: Unlike fossil fuels—which are pulled from the earth and burned for temporary light, heat, and power—solar energy is infinite. It will never run out, and once solar panels are installed, the energy is free for the taking.
- Solar power produces low emissions: The emission rate of solar energy is incredibly low. When accounting for manufacturing and transportation emissions, solar power produces roughly 40 grams (g) of CO2 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of energy production. In contrast, coal power plants emit over 1,000g of CO2 per kWh.
- Solar power doesn’t rely on water: Many types of energy production, including hydropower, nuclear energy, and shale oil, require water. However, solar power doesn’t use water, making it a drought-resistant power source.
- Solar energy is ideal in remote settings: Whether you move to a remote location or go on a temporary off-grid adventure, solar is a far cleaner and safer energy source than a gas-powered generator.
- Solar panels reduce your electric bill: Solar isn’t just good for the environment—it’s also good for your wallet. You can expect a noticeable drop in energy costs after installing solar panels. And if you use battery storage, your bills will drop even more.
- You may qualify for tax rebates, credits, and other incentives: The federal Solar Investment Tax Credit (ITC) reimburses you a percentage of the cost to purchase and install solar equipment, making your solar upgrade more affordable. Then, you can sell Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs) back to your utility company to reduce your monthly energy costs even further.
- Solar installations offer a good return on investment: Depending on how you finance your solar installation and what tax benefits you qualify for, your investment could pay for itself in energy savings within just a few years. And if you move, your home could sell for $15,000 more than comparable properties without solar panels.
- The solar industry creates jobs: One false argument against renewable energy is that it takes positions away from the fossil fuel sector. However, clean energy jobs outpaced fossil fuel jobs three to one in 2021, making the economic benefits of solar power undeniable.
If you’re ready to experience these solar benefits in your home or business, Better Tomorrow Solar can help you get started. We’ll begin with a free consultation to gather information about your project and discuss your energy goals. From there, we’ll help you design your solar installation, secure the necessary permits, and install the solar panels on-site. Going solar has never been easier—contact us today for a free quote!